St. George's Parish Church
Location
 
The Museum
 
Publications
 
"The Schism"
 
Family Histories
 
William Barnes
 
The Langton Smuggler
 
Village Sign
 
 
 
Contact us
 
 
 
 


The present building is at least the third, and maybe the fourth church on this site. The west tower dates from c.1320 and on its east wall (the interior back wall of the church) can be seen evidences of the churches of c.1290 and 1829. There is a complete list of Rectors from 1322. The old Churchyard is now closed except for the interment of cremation caskets.

The present nave and chancel were rebuilt in 1876 by Crickmay. They are of Purbeck Stone decorated with Portland Stone, Purbeck 'Marble' and Studland Sandstone.

 

The nave roof rises some eight feet above the top of the tower. There are three bells, two of which are mediaeval, the largest being the original Langton tenor of c.1420, made by John Gosselin of Bristol. The church has a two-manual pneumatic organ by Binns unaltered except for an electric blower.

A booklet "A History of the Church in Langton Matravers" is listed here.