Parish Sign and Badge
 

The Village Sign was designed by R J Saville and carved in oak by Alan D Marsh, using up the money left in the account at the end of the parish's fortnight-long Festival of the Arts (a winning entry in the Southern England Village Festivals) as part of the Festival of Britain in 1951.  It was later painted in colour by M Collins.  The overall shape is the equal-armed cross of St. G eorge, the patron saint of Langton Parish Church and its First School.  In the centre the Arms of the De Mautravers family which gave its name to the parish.  At either side the flaming torches of progress and learning, representing the Schools and Societies of the parish.  At top and bottom centre symbols of the chief occupations of the parish since the First Century AD - the cow's head for Farming and the mallet and chisel for the Purbeck Stone.

The Parish Badge was designed by R J Saville for the Parish Council and its publications.  On a shield shape across the centre the red cross of St. George, patron saint of the parish, surmounted by the flaming torch of progress and learning, because at one time there were seven schools in the parish and there are still three.

In the top quarters of the shield are the Arms of the two great families who gave their names to the two manors of the parish, Le Walleys on the left and De Mautravers on the right.  In the lower quarters are the symbols of the chief occupations from the First Century AD, Farming and the Purbeck Stone Industry.

Back to Introduction